Monday, October 27, 2014

Happy Life Day

Celebrating life sounds more like a birthday than the anniversary of a fatal car accident, yet that is exactly why LIFE DAY came to be.  In order to understand where I'm coming from let's take a flash back to October 27th, 1986, sometime around 1:00 in the afternoon.  (Insert those squiggly, wavy lines formerly used to identify flashbacks in the sitcoms of the 1980's.) 

On the way back to our northwoods home from a wonderful family celebration, my parents and I were driving along a stretch of highway on an unseasonably warm and bright autumn afternoon.  Being the normal girl of tween age, I was sleeping, sprawled out on the benchlike backseat of a 1970 white Buick Skylark my parents had just recently purchased.  She had tail fins near the trunk, an AM only radio, vinyl white seats, and the shoulder seatbelts, located only in the frontseat, were folded, fastened to the ceiling with two metal clips.  She was in pristine condition.  What a beauty she was!!  But most importantly, that car saved our lives.  (They just don't make 'em like they used to.)  The first thing I remember is hearing my mother yell out so I lifted my head.  To this day, 28 years later, I see in my dreams two lit headlights moving toward us against a pitch black background.  All is as silent as silent can be.  The next thing I see are florescent lights.  I hear voices.  I don't know where I am yet at the same time I do.  I know I'm safe.  A nurse says my name and stresses for me not to move emphasizing "AT ALL."  She continues that my parents and I had been in a terrible car accident and that we all were alive but at a nearby emergency room being evaluated.  Let me just say, things were not good, not good at all, but that is another story for another time.


There is SO, SO much to this story as it still lives on to this day.  That was the day my loving older sister had to take over and become the head of household (and a third parent to a scared little sister).  That was the day I learned how strong I could be and what sort of pain - physical, mental, or emotional - I could overcome.  I'm more than sure, dear Reader, you will hear many stories in the future of the outcome from that one day, that one instant.  But in the meantime, dear Reader, what I wish for you to take from this post, right now, is the following passage taken from my personal Facebook page posted today...

"HAPPY LIFE DAY!!! 28 years ago today my family of four was involved with that crazy HWY 29 car accident, forever changing our lives... for the better. We are who we are today because of those few moments of time.  So with that in mind, live every second of this day, and every day for that matter, to the fullest.  Love without limits.  Search for the good in the bad.  Give your family, friends, neighbors, strangers, enemies… everyone the gift of kindness.  Be present in the moment.  Celebrate with us by spreading grace, love, peace, and appreciation for this day.

With gratitude and love, Leah (HUG)"






No comments:

Post a Comment