Tuesday, November 11, 2014

How Two Book Titles Changed my Life.

While rummaging around in the basement trying to find something interesting to fill up one of those famous homebound, freezing cold, northwoods winter days, I found myself reading over the titles of books lined up in our recycled cinderblock and 2 x 4, crudely assembled basement library.  The time was later 1980's and I was somewhere around the age of 13, give or take a year.  I remember the moment I came across two books that have been forever imprinted in my brain.  No they weren't some forbidden literature, Readers’ Digest large print books, or aged copies of National Geographic.  (The later of those being kept piled up in a place of honor in our living room.)  No, both were just beat up, well read, regular ol’ paperbacks.   I was drawn in by the colorful, visual noise of their covers.  Both happened to be authored by the same woman, the one, the only, Erma Bombeck.  I can't even tell you how many times since that day I have quoted just the titles, let alone her hilarious, true to life written words.  These titles find themselves involved in many a conversation, sometimes to loosen up an intense tone, other times just because the ideas they proclaim just fit so perfectly.  First is, The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank (McGraw-Hill, 1976), the second, If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits? (McGraw-Hill, 1978).  I'm not going to bamboozle you, dear Reader, with all sorts of quotes, however, I urge you to please, please, please just take a second and do an internet search on Erma Bombeck.  Perouse a few of her quotes, download one of her books, or better yet get your bum to the library, (don’t forget a document with your current address printed on it to update your library card,) and check out a REAL LIVE BOOK.  She was genius.  Hilarious.  Genuine.  Authentic.


In case you're interested, click below.

I’ll leave you with one of her many quotes to tantalize your brain, "Seize the moment.  Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart." 

No comments:

Post a Comment