Monday, December 8, 2014

Our Daily Bread - By guest blogger Guenevere

Just a quick note. 
Please let me introduce my dear, dear friend Guenevere.  She has accepted my invitation to be a guest blogger for Living Conversations, and I am simply overjoyed.  She is one of those people who, just by being in her presence, reminds one how to be a truly beautiful, genuine person.  I am confident you find her as inspirational as I do.  With that, here’s Guenevere… 

Our Daily Bread

I must admit that I have always felt a bit daunted by the idea of baking my own bread. I have made plenty of quick breads, (like pumpkin chocolate chip-yum!) but never a loaf fit for a sandwich! It sounded easy enough: simple ingredients + time...yet my inner-perfectionist worried about getting nice, even slices and making sure not to kill the yeast. But with a four-year-old who devours peanut butter & honey sandwiches, and an almost one-year-old who adores toast, we go through a lot of bread in this house! So...

Last week, in an effort to simplify my errands a bit, and to stop spending $5 on a loaf from Great Harvest, I searched through several recipes online, and finally chose one that sounded close to our favorite honey wheat. Simple, wholesome ingredients, and an easy to follow recipe. I got out my mixer and loaf pans and got to work! I have great childhood memories of trips to Madison, and smelling the intoxicating aroma of freshly baked bread as we drove past Gardener's Bakery. So I am very proud to say that I have finally recreated that amazing smell in my very own kitchen!

http://bakingdom.com/2011/09/homemade-honey-oat-bread.html

I love the method Darla uses in this recipe. Her photos were a great tutorial for this bread-baking newbie. The only change I made to the recipe is the flour: I used 2 cups of whole wheat and 1 cup of all purpose. I made a loaf with regular active yeast and a loaf with quick-rise yeast, and I yielded a much better loaf with the quick-rise. I chose to leave the honey and oat topping off my second loaf, although delicious, it was hard to put the sticky loaf back in the bread bag!


This bread is just like the honey whole wheat from Great Harvest, and in fact, even tastier! It has a nice, soft crust, a delicious chewy texture, and it slices beautifully. After my four-year-old's first taste, he said, "I can't wait for a sandwich on this bread!".

 
Whew! Not so daunting after all! Maybe now I'll have the guts to attempt one of the pretzel bun recipes I have pinned!  

No comments:

Post a Comment